Wednesday, June 11, 2008

All good things must come to an end

And how true that statement is! (more on this later)

I got my exams back--well, math that is. I don't know if it was due to the fact that I haven't taken a serious math test since about December, or lack of sleep, or sabotage, but I received the test, and as I turned it over, everthing I studied deliberately left my brain like an insulted guest at a surprise party. (more on surprise parties later) Anywho, I got the test back, and it was--not good, to say the least. I definitely vote sabotage. 
Japanese was fine, nothing peculiar...I am still awaiting chemistry...

Since in comparison to my classmates, who take NINE (9) different exams from their classes, I took just the three, leaving me with a lot of free time. While everyone was in full exam-mode, Sakurai-sensei, Kobayashi-sensei, myself, and Hannah went to see Kabuki. It was the first time for Hannah, but being an old-timer myself (in some respects, having seen it twice before then) I knew what was coming. The play we saw was very interesting, if not slow-moving. But there were heads in sushi-tubs and men playing women and men playing women playing different women, and I had a good time.

The next day the four of us went to a Mexican restaurant, since I have involuntarily been dubbed the "Mexican food referee," here to judge if "Mexican food" is authentic or not. In this case, it was really good, and pretty close, but used a Japanese spicy thing that killed my tongue and disqualified it from the mock-Mexican food contest. Regardless, it was really good. After that, we went to Ghibli museum (think back to one of my early posts!), which is a display of Hayao Miyazaki's work as a animator and film-maker. I love Ghibli, so it was really fun for me to be able to go a second time.

On the last day of finals (aka free time), when my friends finished, the six of us FINALLY went to Tokyo Disney Land! Since I haven't gone yet despite the fact I have been in Japan for nearly 9 and 1/2 months, it was really really fun. I went with my two host sisters, Natsu and Keito, Hannah and her host sister and one other friend. It was a weekday so it wasn't too badly crowded (really really lucky!) and although we did have a slight money issue (someone had trouble withdrawing money) it was so fun, though we were all exhausted by the time we left.

We had school on Saturday (no fair, right?!) and then on Sunday I was planning to hang out with four of my friends. I met them and they told me that one of them had to go to her dad's work for a second. So, I blindly followed them to this little place, and as I went in, the girls from my old class surprised me with a (surprise) farewell party!! I was so happy that they would do that for me, and at first I was so speechless because, well, I was surprised...everyone brought a dish that they made at home, nad within minutes I was stuffed. We played games and talked a ton and decorated TWO farewell cakes (handmade whipped cream and, um, granola cereal and strawberries--trust me, it was delicious, not to mention heartfelt) Even though we were already stuffed, we were really hot, and two of my friends went out and brought back a tub of ice cream (we threw in the rest of the cereal, and it was soooo good.) As people left, more people came, and when the time we had to use the room my friends rented ran out, we went out to eat though we were stuffed (a recurring theme that day) and took purikura. I started crying at the end because I was so overwhelmed that they would throw a pary for me.

This is my last week in Japan, and it is already half-over. The time has gone so fast. Will I be happy to go home? Yes, I think so, but leaving feels impossible. I want to see my family and friends and teachers, but it is so hard to have to leave one side of my life to be in the other. 

After school today, the school is having a farewell program today. I will be "interviewed," give a short speech, and play violin with Natsu. Then, tonight, I will have dinner with a lot of teachers and my host families and again, give a speech and play violin. 
Here is my speech for the farewell program (translated--please excuse weird English!)

To everyone at St. Margaret's,
I remember the day I left America exactly. I left behind my family, all of my friends, and my life in America and crying, was on a plane my myself.
As I became used to my life in Japan, the way I saw Japan completely changed. In the beginning I didn't speak Japanese at all, but thanks to all of you, I have learned Japanese, made good friends, and become used to my school-life.

Whether it was During school events like St. Margaret's Festival and the Sport's Festival, for example, you all always helped me out, and during everyday life I made amazing friends. 

When I left America, I saw Japan as a far-away foreign country where I didn't know anyone at all, but because of you, I feel like St. Margaret's and Japan is my home. Everyone, thank you so much for these last 9 and 1/2 months.
*APPLAUSE*

My speech for my host families and teachers is slightly different (longer and teacher/host-family focused) but I don't have it right this second--I might post it later. I hope it goes well tonight! (aka, I hope I don't give a speech about how good my Japanese has gotten then not understand the interview questions.) I'll let you know.

This time next week I will be home (and probably tired.) I leave this Sunday...only about 3 and 1/2 days...

see you soon


AUDREY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

お〜
おめでとう
アメリカに帰るのが難しいだろう!でもな、いい思い出が出来たからいいじゃん
ー闇怒龍A.K.A Andrew