Thursday, September 13, 2007

おとといときのときょともくよび

Okay, here's more...^^
Tuesday, Iwasaki-sensei, the school's organist, gave me a lecture on the St. Margaret's School organ, which is huge, in case you didn't know. The bellows, which pump air into the organ, have their own separate room, but the organ itself has about the perimeter of my room at home, and is 2 stories tall...20,900 pipes...= wow. Iwasaki-sensei herself is a very very esteemed organist and she played for me, while letting me simultaneously roam around IN the organ. She was sooo nice, and at the end, she gave me her organ CD she had released and invited me to the choir concert (the choir here is amazingly good) in about 2 weeks. Overall, it was def more than worth and I was so glad I was able to do something like that! I mean, honestly, how often do you get to walk around the inside of an enormous organ while a professional is playing it? (Or even walk inside an organ at all?)
Wednesday:
I went to dance PE with my homeroom. It was not the best day to come, because they had, yes, a test over a dance they had to memorize. It was so nerve-wracking for some of them, because 4-5 girls at a time had to get up in front of the 45 others and the teacher, all of whom were judging them, and try to remember this dance. I was a spectator the whole time, so like I said, not the best day to show...
Also: I did calligraphy with the senior 3rd graders. Only 10 people were in the class (as opposed to 50, as is more than typical) so it was very personal...the teacher was really really good at calligraphy. She started me out with really easy stuff (ichi, ni; sakura; kaba, fore example) but I quickly graduated to myself to kanji. I wrote out the kanji for cosmos flower, which is hard to do and simultaneously make look beautiful...mine ultimately ended up slightly more than decent, while the teacher's, even though it was instructional and has numbers (for stroke order) on it. I want to frame =)
Today, I had the daily 3 hours of Japanese (egads--I accidentally did way too much homework last night, over stuff I didn't technically know...) and then I had 2 hours of handbells with the senior 3rd graders...this did go against my ethics [I will admit], mainly because as a generalization, I don't appreciate handbells as true music because they sound way too cliche-barbie-fairytopia-enchantment-soundtrack-esque. Everytime I have heard handbells at some concert or another, I start laughing hysterically (I'm not joking) and disturb my surrounding audience members, who apparently see something more in handbells than I do. But, anyway--I did play handbells, which I found one takes slightly more seriously when focusing on the 2 random notes you play, since you ring the bell per pitch...in case you were wondering, we're playing a Beauty and the Beast medly...I rest my handbell case, though.
Sakurai-sensei offered to take me to go to perhaps the one Mexican food restaraunt in Tokyo, an invitation I immediately accepted. Japanese food is Japanese food, so a little break in the monotony (monotony in the broadest positive terms--the food here is oishii! delicious) was readily welcome...little did I know that going to get Mexican fod this next Thursday is not only me and Sakurai-sensei, but also my Japanese teacher (Kobayashi-sensei) and principal, Hiratsuka-sama (hehheh sama...penance penance penance). Sounds like an adventure...ehhh?
In regards to the last post's title, that's something Natsu asked me randomly. It seemed fitting as a blog entry title...
Also, a random thing I have taught Natsu is the phrase "No you dih-n't." I have no idea how this came up, but it's another word in her English vocabulary. Speaking of random things...I think the students here at school think I'm crazy--I have a nasty habit of sliding down banisters and singing Japanese words randomly (tokedoke benkyoshimashta! doesn't that just seem like it should be said in a sing-song tone of voice?) and doing little dances during clean-up time, or when appropriate in conversation. I don't think that this is the exchange student that they bargained for...and speaking of dance (after this, I will be done speaking of things, no worries...
The dancers in my class want me to do their club. I have assured them that I have little dancing ability, but apparently my taking-out-the-trash dance is up to par. They have gone as far to say, "Oodoriichan means dance...your name in Japanese means dance, so you should join our club." Interesting logic, but I think I'll try--what could go that wrong? now that I've jinxed myself by writing that...

jane (no, not the name Jane, but じゃね, which means bye)
audrey
オードリー

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohh, cool organ stuff. the insides are awesome, aren't they? i went on an organ crawl at camp 2 summers ago. yay. email me.
rebecca

Anonymous said...

Well, is seems like you have made some progress towards appreciating the celestial bliss that is the handbell choir. I can only hope that with time you will come to realize the sheer euphoria that is those carefully tuned bells, ringing, ringing, ringing.... I am at a loss for words... I think I briefly left my body and found myself on a higher plane of existance as I recalled... the bell choir.... I only hope, Audrey, that someday you, too, can appreciate the beauty, but it's also more than beauty, überbeauty, the indescribable rapture.

On a vastly less important note, that organ sounds pretty cool. Though considering its size, it seems like it'd be pretty difficult to perform an organ transplant. Though I wil state that Oregon is pretty large, also.
I have to admit, tokedoke sounds like quite the fun word. Not just okey-dokey, but really enjoyable to say.
And I have to say, if I were Japanese and some Texan came to my school and slid down the banisters I'd certainly stair at that person. And not just let it slide.
Ronald McDonald

Anonymous said...

It must be a genetic thing. I have the same reaction to hand bells!

Anonymous said...

Is your nick name really dance? How do they say it in Japanese?

Anonymous said...

Were you trying to say this?

おとといのときのとうきょうともくようび
一昨日の時の東京と木曜日