Monday, September 3, 2007

Estoy aqui! errr, well, say that in Japanese, please.

Dear everyone,
First, I would like to offer my apologies for all those (the few) who actually read my blog and noticed that I haven@t, until now, updated it. My regrets.
My other apology: I am using a Japanese keyboard, and it is not meant for the Amrican user. Please do not let interesting use of spelling and punctuation deter you from reading.

Presumably, I have arrived in Tokyo...It was so hard to leave Austin, but after a plane movie and a flight to San Francisco, it was a lot easier to bear, I guess just because I was depending on bear, I guess just because I was depending on myself. Sorry for cliche-ness. I somehow made it to Tokyo (don:t ask me how- made it to Tokyo (don:t ask me how--I am pretty hopeless in airports) I met my host family, the Fukunagas, as well as the program head, Sakurai-sensei,and after 2 photos, we set off to their home. After about 3 hours in the car (following the 15 hours in the plane) I was exhausted. Completely. When we got their, I found out that I am sahring a room with my host sister Natsu...i was really worried at first, because their house is quite small, and I wasn]t sure if Iwas going to be able to unpack without completely taking over the room. But...by means of a plastic bin and a spare desk and some closet space, all:s well that ends well. The next day was quite very exciting. I went to Natsu:s handball game via the trains exciting. I went to Natsu:s handball game via the trains, which are not really trains but subways above ground. Handball was really fun to watch, as the players will make these leaps into the air and simulataneously hurl this ball through the air in the attempt to make a goal. (Interesing & very cool fact* after a handball game, they teams bow to each other, then to the crowd, bow to each other, then to the crowd, to which you other, then to the crowd, to which you are supposed to say ありがとございました, or thank you.)

After one of the games (she had 4 that day), I met Mizuki and Kaho and another girl whose name escapes me. They both were semi fluent in English--especially Mizuki, who knew it very well--so we made multi lingual small talk, interrupted by them consulting each other on how to say something.

By the way, the one word took me multiple days to learn is ``douitashimashite`` which is `you:re welcome`. Literally about 7 people have pronounced it, spelled it, written it...yet somehow I always manage to mangle it. But--besiudes that, my stabs at the Japanese I do know have been successful. For the most part. =)

After that, we went to a Japanese market, rode the trains home...fun, but not in a way that you can record for the blog-reader`s purposes.

Ojiijan and obaasan (sp?), the Fukunaga family grandparents came for dinner, which was tempura veggies and shrimp. Very good. The grandparents didn`t speak a word of English (ok, the grandfather asked me, ‘You like curry?` but I@m not counting that.) so it was really fun though confusing to have a dinner conversation. They were very interested in American culture, and they thought it was a riot that my dad does the large majority of the cooking in our household at home. They were also very impressed with my chopstick skills. Beats me.

While I*m on the subject of dinner conversation: It is very typical to watch TV during meals here...lately, there has been an international track and field event in Osaka that just finished up. In case you were wondering.

Today was likewise really fun. Fukunaga-san and Fukunaga-san both were at work today, so Natsu and I rode the train to Fuchu and walked around that area. She first showed me the department store (read mall), and then we spotted おくにたまじんじゃ (Okunitama Jinja) which is a really amazing shrine, or grouping of them. This place was so nice and peaceful, which is really cool because in Japan, you have your markets in your department stores next to your shrines next to your houses next to your convenience store next to your factory next to your karaoke bar next to your train station next to your...well, I hope you get my idea. I was feeling ansty and touristy (like I always do *smirk*) and I took a bazillion pictures of this place, because it was just so beautiful. You don]t find this sort of thing in Texas. Inside (though still outside) there was a tree surrounded by a square-shaped laundry line sort of thing, covered in paper that had been knotted on it. Natsu explained to me that these were fortunes, and for 100 yen we each got one. We opened ours up, and they were the same (44 & 44). Apparently, this is a rare occurence, so we took a picture of us with the same fortune, tied one on, and brought one home to show her parents. We were in a picture taking mood, I suppose, so we went and I got my first ぷりくら、or purikura (sp?) with Natsu.Purikura are like vamped up photo booths..it:s a little tricky to explain, but they give you a different background for each one, and once you*re done making your random poses, you go to the side and decorate them like there:s no tomorrow.Via technology:s wonders, you insert sparkles and hearts and stars and write and decorate..then they print out very tiny and you cut them out and save them...

After that little excursion, we got lunch (ramen noodles with something...not quite sure ), and took the train home...here we are now! We are  resting for the afternoon, because we are really worn out from our hyper-active day (well, eventful, I guess, is appropriate) and because school starts tomorrow and Fukunaga-san want:s us to chill so we:ll have energy for tomorrow.I can:t wait for school...I am uber uber excited.

So, that:s all for now. A ton happens here, so I will try to keep you informed. =)

I‘m going to go continue reading the Great Gatsby.Nice book.

またね。 or maybe it:s まてね。 

4 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Audrey!
So glad you're having fun in Japan! You're mom sent me the first couple of pictures with you at the airport already. It's too bad we didn't get to see each other before you left, but I'll keep in touch. And I'm not going anywhere (at least until a few more years), so we'll see each other when you get back of course. It's so exciting to hear about your japanese adventures! It makes me wish more than ever that I was a world traveler and could see it for myself. Hopefully someday I will. For now, your pictures and words must suffice. Keep them coming!
Helen

Anonymous said...

Hello, Audrey.
I'm leaving this comment anonymously, so you'll have to guess who I am. I just hope anybody doesn't rat out on me being anony-mouse. Of course, I'd have to give all due credit to someone who stole my Mastercard, though you losing your visa would actually be bad (do you have a visa?). Ummm.... rhinoctopus. And I am the mascot of a large chain of stores known as makku. Just needed to establish who I am.
So, it sounds like you're having a good time and not suffering too badly from jet-lag. It is really, after a long flight, to time-zone out at jet-lag behind. But anyway, chopsticks, はし. I saw a Japanese television show whose whole premise was Japanese people dressing up as foreigners of all sorts (American, Chinese, Dutch, Indian) and trying to pick up food with chopsticks and failing. Apparently, most Japanese people have the impression that gaijin can't use chopsticks. So you'll have to stick with your skills and show them. Have you done karaoke? Have you started school? Do you have a cool uniform? Have you had any comic linguistic slip-ups (or downs)? Am I asking too many questions? Sorry to be so inquisitive, I'm sure you weren't expecting any sort of Spanish Inquisitivastion.... erm... yeah.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

AH audrey!!! I'm so glad you're having a good time in Japan!! my mom says Hi and that she's so incredibly happy that you're um happy...did that make any sense??? hehe. Good luck with school!! oh yea...so. how r u coming along with your jetlag??? aaaand...guess who this is....

Susan said...

How about that camera! How's it working for you? Your family looks really nice. Keep those pictures coming. We miss you.
XXXOOO