Wednesday, March 21, 2007

the day of the big day.

The Japan news was officially made public today in chapel. I was so nervous going up when it was announced--it seems like unless I have my violin with me up on stage, I freak out. I literally started shrinking, but realized that was probably not the right thing to do, so I went for the grin-and-bear-it-while-twisting-your-fingers-behind-you approach. Hey, it could have been worse. I didn't actually get how much I wanted to tell everyone until the word got out...it's so much less confusing to get that load out of my system. Everyone's response was so great--it was amazing how supportive everyone was. I guess again I was still in the hiding hiding secrets secrets mindset. My mom put it best: "You usually only find out how much people care at your funeral." Yes, indeed.

It is going to be really hard to leave everything behind and have no real in-depth conversations for a long time, but like debate, it is going to still be here waiting for me. On the same line, Japan has already, without being there, made me really appreciate the side-splittingly funny moments my friends and I have. It's the little things, like solving mega-rubik's cubes and crosswords in the library, table-hopping under the watchful eye of authority, and just standing in a circle after lunch talking about (as quoted by Josh) "that which is morally grey" that I will most definitely miss.

It seemed the post required an octupus.

No comments: