Wednesday, March 7, 2007

the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Here's what's REALLY happening, au contraire what *smirk* some people think/thought:
Josh and I were picked to go to Japan for all of next [school] year to be totally and completely swamped with Japanese culture and language. I will be at a school in Tokyo, and Josh will be at Osaka. I'll live w/ two host families (switch halfway thru the year) and have Japanese crash courses to try to understand Algebra II [and more!] in a different language. [this could be potentially interesting]

At first I was like, "No way am I going to drop everything and go halfway around the world to a place where I don't speak the language!!!!!!!!"

Then I realized that it wouldn't be that bad, except it would mean dropping everything I know here, aka violin lessons with my current teachers, debate, my dogs, my parents, my friends (not in that order). Which was still actually super-bad in my mind.

It was debate that was holding me back. I AM currently qualed for state, have been pretty successful in Original Oratory (in which I give a memorized, self-written, 10 minute speech), and have been having mucho mucho fun...it took me a long time to start to really decide. I really wasn't scratching the surface in trying to figure out the pro / con list, but rather just avoiding it all together.
SoOoOooO...I finally decided to give this LIFE-CHANGING UBER-IMPORTANT FANCY SHMANCY DECISION some thought (after talking to Josh, who made me realize that I actually had to make up my mind) I / he / we came up with some thoughts on the matter...


First, I was already thinking in the mindset of one who has decided to go; I really hadn't considered not going and now was only focusing on the little things that I would miss. Also, not going would plague me FOREVER!!!!! (but seriously, I did some "When I am thirty..." thinking). AND, disclaimer: WEIRD LOGIC; ONLY TRULY MAKES SENSE IN MY HEAD ==> On what I base my perspective now is the sheltered bubble at school, so in exploding that bubble, I will completely change my POV (thus realizing that the little things I am worried about are trivial). Plus, the fact I will learn a new language and enter the semi-uncharted seas of sushi! Huzzah! [I do like sushi, I just haven't eaten a ton, hence the "semi-uncharted" part of that sentence]

There are more things, too, but that's enough to get started...

As I write this, it is still CONFIDENTIAL! KEEP OUT! information, so let us count the people who know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (hem, hem)...

*Me + family (but close family only! not even grandparents yet! I said it was TOP SECRET!)

*Josh + family *Ms. Todd & Mr. Cox (they're in charge) *Mr. Bowen *Our yard man


So, like I perhaps already said, it will be announced officially Tuesday after the Break. Until then, like I perhaps already said, it will be me alone on this lonely lonely blog, typing away into the wee hours...

happy happy joy joy.





[this, according to a semi-reliable online translator, is my name in Japanese...only time can tell]



PS. The yard man knows only because my mom was bursting to tell someone about the trip, and she figured the yard man was the best one. Speaking of some strange logic...I can't really blame her, though, but it is slightly amusing.

No comments: